Congratulations! You’ve taken the first step towards becoming a diver- finding out what all is involved. At Discovery Diving®, teaching new divers is one of the things we enjoy most, so if you have any questions about learning to dive, please don’t hesitate to email or call us at 252-728-2265. View our complete 2015 Training Schedule.
The PADI Open Water course is designed to provide the student with the basic knowledge and skills to safely gain limited experience in the diving environment under favorable conditions. We recommend that the newly qualified SCUBA diver limit diving to calm, shallow waters with an experienced buddy and engage in special diving activities only after qualifying through training for the particular activity.
15 for an Open Water certification (People 12 to 15 years old receive a Junior Open Water Certification.)
Training is divided into 8 major categories:
- Diving Equipment
- Medical Aspects
- Diving Physics
- Diving Environment
- Dive Tables
- Diving Practices
- Diving Activities
- SCUBA Diving Skills
There are approximately 12 hours of class work and 12 hours of pool work, depending on the progress of the class. The class culminates with 4 SCUBA Dives, which are beach entry dives. We include 2 Boat dives to the Indra, for extra experience on a charter boat and diving on a wreck (weather permitting). If the weather does not permit the Boat Dive, you can come back and do it with another class.
Each person must:
- Take a swim evaluation consisting of:
- 1. 200 yard swim with any combination of strokes
- 2. 10 minute Float
- 3. 5 Minute Tread
- 4. Breath Hold Swim
- Satisfactorily pass a written examination
- Supply mask, fins, and snorkel, PADI Open Water Manual with tables and Divers Log Book
- NOTE: Students without mask, fins, and snorkel are requested to wait until after the first class session before purchasing them. The first session details these items and provides information for selecting appropriate and adequate equipment.
- Read the first three sections of text book and answer the questions at the end of each section before the first class meeting
- Complete the Medical Form
$320.00 (includes one boat dive)
How to Sign Up
For more information or to register for a class, please email or call us at 252-728-2265. After Certification, students will be allowed to use the SCUBA gear FREE OF CHARGE any time we are doing student dives or when they are participating in higher level and Specialty Classes.